The Cathedral of St. John
Cathedral Task Force
At our 2012 Diocesan Convention Bishop Knisely called for the creation of a “Cathedral Task Force” to lead Rhode Island Episcopalians through a collaborative process of listening and discerning a future for the Cathedral of St. John. Since then a group has been gathered including The Bishop and members of the Cathedral Chapter. The Rev. Robert Brooks has been appointed to chair the endeavor, and in the summer of 2013 the task force began their work. The Task Force's work will be a fairly long process, check out the proposed timeline here.
Though Sunday worship services have been suspended at the Cathedral, worship continues during the week and a variety of uses of the building during this interim time are being explored. Pray with as the Task Force moves through a season of listening and learning, into a season of exploration and visioning together, then into the much awaited implementation of an exciting new future for St. John’s.
About the Building
The Cathedral of St. John is the successor to King's Church, organized in the same location in 1722. The building as it exists today was designed by Providence's Federal-era architect John Holden Greene and built in 1810. In 1929, the building was designated as the official Episcopal seat for the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island and has been known as the Cathedral ever since. The church is constructed in Smithfield stone with brownstone trim and combines Federal forms with Gothic detailing: the end-gable-roof Federal mass is articulated with lancet-arch windows with tracery. A clustered-colonnette-porch introduces the projecting gabled vestibule, which supports a square clock tower and belfry with spiky pinnacles above it. Inside is a low-saucer-dome ceiling nave supported by clustered colonnettes. The church is also home to an 1851 Hook organ. The building has been enlarged and somewhat remodeled, notably in 1855, 1866, 1906, and 1967, and is in need of much repair today, but still retains its architectural integrity.