S. Stephen’s is an Anglo-Catholic congregation in the heart of the Brown University campus on the East Side of Providence. People entering the church for High Mass on Sundays are warmly welcomed and will notice the solemnity of the congregation, the excellent music program with choir and organ, and the beauty of the 1862 church building designed by Richard Upjohn. In our Anglo-Catholic liturgies, we worship Our Lord Jesus Christ and seek to serve Christ in the Mass and in our fellowship. Occasional Evensong services followed by a fellowship reception complement daily Low Mass in the Lady Chapel. Members hail from across Rhode Island, and Massachusetts and Connecticut. We also host the Episcopal Ministry at Brown & RISD (EMBR).
For several years, S. Stephen’s has been pleased to host the Epiphany Soup Kitchen every Saturday afternoon, a ministry that also allows groups from other churches and social organizations to engage in a day of service to assist those less fortunate. The church also has provided a New Year’s Day dinner for the hungry, on a day when other soup kitchens traditionally are closed. Both of these ministries also provide warm clothing and other personal essentials to anyone who joins us for the meal.
S. Stephen’s is excited to be in an interim period and looks forward with prayer and joy to our next rector, to be called this spring.
S. Stephen’s, 114 George St., Providence; 401-421-6702; the Rev. Andrew C. Mead, priest-in-charge; Bishop’s visitation February 16. website