The 229th Convention of the Diocese of Rhode Island began with Eucharist and a reception on Friday evening, Nov. 8 at St. Luke’s Church, East Greenwich, and continued with business sessions and award presentations on Saturday.
ELECTIONS AND APPOINTMENTS
Lay and Clergy delegates elected Rhode Islanders to represent them on various diocesan leadership bodies; chose deputies for the 2021 General Convention of the Episcopal Church; recognized individuals from the diocese who have made significant contributions of their time and talent over time; and adopted a 2020 budget.
Convention delegates approved the election of the following diocesan members to leadership bodies:
- Standing Committee: The Rev. Elizabeth Habecker; Mr. David Olsen, Grace Church, Providence.
- Diocesan Council: The Rev. Alvin Marcetti, Christ Church, Lincoln; Deacon Joyce Thorne, retired.
- Commission on Finance: The Rev. Greta Getlein, St. Paul’s, Pawtucket
- Commission on Congregational Development: The Rev. Sunil Chandy, Christ Church, Westerly; Ms. Deborah Collins, St. Luke’s, East Greenwich.
- Commission on Investments: The Rev. Mitch Lindeman, Trinity, Cranston; Ms. Ellen Abell, St. Luke’s, East Greenwich; Ms. Vicki Escalera, St. Augustine’s, Kingston.
- Deputies to the Province I Synod: Deacon Jan Grinnell; Ms. Olive Swinski, Redeemer. Providence.
- Diocesan Treasurer: Mr. John “Jay” Candon, Holy Spirit, Charlestown.
- Secretary of Convention: The Rev. Bettine Besier, St. Thomas’, Alton.
Convention delegates also elected the following deputies to represent the diocese at the 2021 General Convention of the Episcopal Church, which will be held June 30-July 9 in Baltimore:
- Clergy deputies (in order of number of votes): The Rev. Patrick Greene, St. John’s, Barrington; Deacon Jan Grinnell; the Rev. Sunil Chandy, Christ Church, Westerly; the Rev. Dante A. Tavolaro, St. Luke’s, East Greenwich.
- Clergy alternates (in order): The Rev. Veronica Tierney, St. Matthew and St. Mark, Barrington; the Rev. Nathan Humphrey, St. John’s, Newport; the Rev. Beth Sherman, St. Augustine’s, Kingston.
- Lay deputies (in order): Ms. Lora MacFall, St. Andrew’s-by-the-Sea, Little Compton; Mr. Scott Avedisian, Trinity, Cranston; Ms. Olive Swinski, Redeemer, Providence; Ms. Laura Clark, St. Matthew’s, Jamestown.
- Lay alternate: Mr. David Seifert, Grace Church, Providence.