In acknowledgement of the Gospel Imperative to feed, clothe, heal and visit, the Episcopal Charities Fund of Rhode Island assists ministries of the Diocese and charities of the wider Rhode Island community by raising and helping to provide funds, and in so doing, bringing hope, comfort and healing to Rhode Islanders in need.
How to apply for a grant
The Episcopal Charities Annual Grant Application is in an easy-to-complete electronic format. The grant application period this year has been pushed later because we know that the challenges of the pandemic have placed incredible burdens on all of you who are helping our neighbors in need. The 2021 Grant Application cycle will open on May 1st and close at midnight on June 30th. During that period the Grant Application can be found HERE.
Only grant applications received by June 30 in this electronic format with be considered. Since our on-line application must be completed without interruption, we are including an Application Worksheet containing all the application questions to assist in completing your application including a list of required documents to upload. Download the worksheet HERE.
In keeping with our mission, we seek to fund grant requests which will directly impact the lives of our neighbors in need. We give priority to programs aimed at meeting basic human needs (food, shelter, healthcare) for at-risk children and at-risk seniors (older adults 60+). To be considered, you must submit a letter of support from one of our RI Episcopal congregations with which you have a relationship. A list of prior recipients will be found here.
We will begin reviewing completed Grant Applications in July. As part of the review process, you may be contacted by a member our grants team to ask some questions or to arrange an in-person visit. Our grants will be distributed at the end of the year.
Preference is given to applications from nonprofit agencies who have missions that are consistent with our mission and include the following:
- provide for “basic human needs (food, shelter, healthcare) for at-risk children and at-risk seniors (older adults 60+)”
- have an established relationship with one of our RI Episcopal congregations or have volunteers from our congregations. Letter of support from church leadership describing that relationship must be uploaded with the application.
- directly provide basic human needs to our target groups, especially those that might not be eligible for funding from other sources
- enable our grant to make an impact on the project/program
- have current 501(c)(3) status
We discourage requests from programs and agencies which
- are heavily funded through government sources
- seek funding for capital expenditures such as for vehicles, buildings, or other real property or repairs of the same
- provide only political advocacy activities rather than direct service of basic human needs to our target demographic
- do not meet the criteria above
Episcopal Charities of Rhode Island raises funds for grant distribution through the generous spirit and caring of members inour Episcopal churches and our friends and neighbors in Rhode Island.
Since Episcopal Charities began, an endowment has provided income which covers all campaign and administrative costs. This allows 100% of every dollar donated to Episcopal Charities to go directly into our grants.
401-274-4500, ext. 7