In acknowledgement of the Gospel Imperative to feed, clothe, heal and visit, the Episcopal Charities Fund of Rhode Island assists ministries of the Diocese and charities of the wider Rhode Island community by raising and helping to provide funds, and in so doing, bringing hope, comfort and healing to Rhode Islanders in need.
How to apply for a grant
The Episcopal Charities Grant Application is now in an easy-to-complete electronic format. This year’s Grant Application cycle will open on March 15. Between March 15 and April 30, the Grant Application can be found HERE.
Only grant applications received by April 30 in this electronic format with be considered. Since our on-line application must be completed without interruption, we are including an Application Worksheet containing all the application questions to assist in completing your application including a list of required documents to upload. Download the worksheet HERE.
In keeping with our mission, we seek to fund grant requests which will directly impact the lives of our neighbors in need. This year, we will give priority to programs aimed at meeting basic human needs (food, shelter, healthcare) for children and elders (older adults 60+). We also ask that you submit a letter of support from one of our RI Episcopal congregations with which you have a relationship.
We will begin reviewing completed Grant Applications in May. As part of the review process, you may be contacted by a member of our grants team to ask some questions or to arrange an in-person visit. While we occasionally give larger grants, our recent grants have averaged around $4,000. Our grants will be distributed at the end of the year.
Applicants who have previously received grants must submit evaluation forms for previously-funded programs/projects: The expectation is that the grants received will be spent within 12 months. As in the past, all those who receive an Episcopal Charities grant are required to submit an evaluation of the programs/projects which have been funded by Episcopal Charities. We have created Episcopal Charities Grant Evaluation Form for your use. Download it HERE. You should submit an evaluation form for grants received more than 12 months ago as an upload with your 2019 grant application.
Preference is given to the following
- groups that are consistent with our mission and this year’s focus of providing for “basic human needs (food, shelter, healthcare) for children and elders (older adults 60+)”
- groups that have an established relationship with one of our RI Episcopal congregations or have volunteers from our congregations
- organizations that provide direct services to recipients including those that might not be eligible for funding from other sources
- agencies with current 501(c)(3) status to be included with grant request
We discourage requests from programs and agencies which
- are heavily funded by government
- seek funding for debts already incurred
- seek capital for vehicles, buildings, or other real property or repairs of same
- provide only political advocacy activities
The Episcopal Charities Annual Campaign raises funds for grant distribution through the generous spirit and caring of individuals in the Episcopal churches in Rhode Island.
Since Episcopal Charities began, an endowment has provided income which covers all campaign and administrative costs. This allows 100% of every dollar donated to Episcopal Charities to go directly into our grants.
401-274-4500, ext. 7