Although Emmanuel’s charter dates back to 1836, the church in its current location was dedicated in 1961 – roughly four months before its current rector was born! It is that combination of old and new that continues to inform the charism of the congregation to this day.
Many of our neighbors in Cumberland are families with school-aged children, and that is reflected in our membership. We’re a quirky congregation, equally at home with chanting the psalms and clapping along to praise music. There is an abiding sense of joy here, and that joy extends to our worship, our outreach ministries and our fellowship. We take our discipleship seriously, constantly re-evaluating the work we do in light of the needs of the world and of the community.
We are known for our beautiful prayer garden where folks from the community come to meditate, to walk the labyrinth, to read and to picnic. Our labyrinth is listed on a world-wide locator, and people on labyrinth pilgrimages have come to walk it. God continues to work in and through us, and we continue to be grateful for our mission and ministry in this time and place.
Emmanuel, 120 Nate Whipple Hwy, Cumberland; 401-658-1506, the Rev. Joan Testin, rector; Bishop’s visitation April 7. website