Documents and resources  for clergy

Supply Clergy List

License to Officiate In order to apply to the Bishop for initial licensing, you must write a letter to the Bishop requesting him to license you indicating what ministry you intend in the Diocese. In addition, a priest must present a letter of good standing from your current bishop, and a certification of Safe Church training within the last three years.  The Bishop may request a meeting with you.  Licenses are issued annually during Advent. In order to renew your license, you must send a letter of request to the Bishop and fulfill any additional training required. Contact the Bishop’s Executive Assistant, Kristin Knudson, with requests.

Declaration of Intention for Holy Matrimony This form is to be completed by any couple seeking to be married in an Episcopal Church. It will be kept on file in the parish office.

Remarriage request form This form is completed when either or both party have been married or in a civil union that has been legally dissolved and they are seeking a new marriage in the church.  Applications must be filed at least thirty (30) days prior to the intended date of marriage. “Cover letters” from clergy are necessary only in extraordinary circumstances. Contact the Bishop’s Executive Assistant, Kristin Knudson.

Same-Sex Blessing Guidelines and Supporting Documents Same-Sex Blessing guidelines are offered to provide clergy and congregations who are considering the blessing of marriage between same sex couples a sense of the possibilities and limitations created by the Episcopal Church. Questions or concerns that are not addressed here should be forwarded to the Bishop’s Office  for consideration.

Eucharistic Visitors and Licensed Lay Leaders In the Diocese of Rhode Island, the Bishop will license a lay person to be a Eucharistic Visitor or a lay worship leader.  In order to be considered for licensing, a lay person must be a confirmed communicant in good standing. The license is issued for three years and may require additional training before renewal. Contact the Bishop’s Executive Assistant, Kristin Knudson, with requests. Contact Diocesan Administrator, Mary Ann Mello, for information about training.

Policy for the Protection of Children and Youth  The Policies for the safe church practices of the Diocese of Rhode Island are designed to make the Church a safer place for those who worship, minister and all who seek or serve Christ, particularly our children and youth. There is an expectation that every individual who serves the Church will maintain the highest ethical standards in relationships with those whom they minister. The Policies are adopted in recognition of the Baptismal covenant promise to respect the dignity of every human being. Contact Diocesan Administrator, Mary Ann Mello, for information about training.

Fiduciary Responsibility Checklist This checklist itemizes the practices that the Vestry/Bishop’s Committee of a church are responsible for overseeing to ensure that the congregation’s finances are managed in compliance with federal law, church canons, and diocesan expectations. The officers (Priest, Sr. Warden, Treasurer and Clerk) are legally required under the federal Sarbanes-Oxley law to adhere to these practices. The rector/vicar of the parish is also responsible for ensuring compliance, under the requirements of Title IV of the Canons of the Episcopal Church.

Church Pension Fund- Change in Compensation Form Clergy must file this form whenever your compensation changes as it is used by the Pension Fund to calculate the pension owed by your congregation.

Church Pension Fund- New Assignment Form Clergy must file this form when you begin a new position.

Clergy Change of Contact Information Form Please complete this form when you have a contact information change in your: postal/mailing address, home phone, cell phone or email address for our database and clergy directory. For all other changes please contact Kristin Knudson.

Professional Development Sabbatical Clergy must apply to the Bishop when they wish to take a sabbatical leave. Instructions and a form are here.

Need something else?  Contact us at for more information