The Royal School of Church Music is a structured choral training program that provides a framework for choral singers to develop their skills, musical understanding, and knowledge of the repertoire.
At its founding in 1927, RSCM was organization that consisted of a training college for church musicians (called the College of St. Nicolas) and an association of affiliated churches committed to attaining high standards of musical performance. The RSCM has grown to become an international and ecumenical organization, with more than 11,000 affiliates in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Nigeria and throughout Europe. RSCM America has more than 400 affiliates crossing denominational lines and the boundaries of nearly every state. RSCM America has its own board of directors supervising RSCM programs in the United States.
RSCM America sponsors a number of summer training courses throughout the United States. Each course is as unique as its setting. All courses provide the opportunity for choral training and exploring wonderful choral music in liturgical and/or concert settings. Some courses offer master classes in organ performance, choral conducting and composition. Several courses offer adult seminars, activities, and opportunities for networking and fellowship.
The Rhode Island Course at Newport is a week-long retreat for children and adults to expand their love of sacred music while enjoying southern New England’s coastal scenery and historic architecture. Services will be sung in the beautiful Gothic revival chapel at St. George’s School and historic Grace Church in Providence. The course offers additional workshops in conducting, composition, handbells, and vocal technique. Morning Prayer and Compline bookend each day’s activities. This promises to be a memorable week of making beautiful music and forging new friendships.
- Participants: 80 Boys and girls age 9-18; 40 adults
- Dates: July 29-August 4, 2019
- Music Director: Scott Hanoian (Christ Church, Grosse Point, MI)
- Organist: Janet Yieh (Trinity Church, Wall Street, NYC)
- Residential Venue: Salve Regina University, Newport, RI
- Concerts/Services Venues: St. George’s School, Middltown RI; Grace Church, Providence, RI; Trinity Church, Newport RI
- Course Fees: $675 before April 1, 2019; $700 after April 1, 2019.
- Contact: Brent Erstad and Jason Abel (course managers): email@example.com
- Course Website: rscmnewport.org